Although coronavirus restrictions are loosening in many parts of the country, a lot of families are still opting to stay home more often than they were before the pandemic. While there are advantages to spending more time together as a family, it’s also not healthy for anyone to stay indoors and apart from society for too long. And if you’re not getting exercise in, it can make the physical, mental, and emotional health consequences even more significant. That’s why we’ve put together this resource digest for families who want to be more active while staying at home.
Family-Friendly Activities and Workouts
From general fitness to yoga to HIIT, there are plenty of ways to exercise at or near home.
- Whether it’s structured exercise, family boot camp, or even a dance party, there are a lot of fun ways you can get the entire family to exercise together.
- If you have a toddler, you can even get in a good workout while also including them!
- The tabletop pose and locust pose are just a few of many yoga poses that are easy enough for kids and beginner adults to do at home — and they’re effective!
- If you live in a location where restrictions are loosening, consider taking your family to a nearby park. If the park provides enough space, you can enjoy walking, running, bicycling, and even HIIT workouts
- This resource list includes info for various classes the whole family can benefit from.
Making an Exercise Space at Home
By creating a space for it, your family can have everything you need to stay fit and healthy in the comfort of your own home.
- Start by determining what kind of exercises you will be doing so that you can pick a location in your home that best fits.
- Make sure the lighting is adequate for the space.
- If you plan on building a full-on home gym, rubber flooring should be one of the first things you put in to keep everyone safe.
- You will also want to be sure that you outfit your space with the right equipment.
Habits to Enhance Your Exercise
There are also several habits to adopt that can help everyone enjoy more productive exercise.
- A healthy diet can do wonders for your exercise routine. Try to get your household eating more whole foods, as well as cutting back on sugary beverages.
- The better you sleep, the better your workouts will be. Discuss sleep habits with the family and see how each of you can improve.
- Using technology such as fitness trackers, mindfulness apps, and esha yoga online classes can also give your exercise routine a boost.
- Lastly, don’t be afraid to take it easy every now and then; breaks from exercise can do the body, mind, and soul good.
If your family is still spending more time at home than you used to, it’s essential that you are making fitness a top priority. Finding activities and workouts that everyone can enjoy, creating an in-home exercise space, and implementing healthy habits are all ways to keep everyone fit and healthy. You may find that your bonds are stronger and that your family is happier all-around. Sounds like a win-win, right?